|J & SL Bonham|
In our Online Catalogue we have only a selection from our extensive stock. We would be happy therefore to answer any Enquiries. Visitors are always welcome but please make an appointment to avoid a wasted journey.
- AULDJO John Richardson. NARRATIVE OF AN ASCENT TO THE SUMMIT OF MONT BLANC. Longman, 1828. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp 119, 18 plates (7 on India Paper), folding panorama, facsimile letter, 2 folding maps (1 partly hand-coloured), 2 hand-coloured tables (1 folding), original boards recently re-backed, corners rubbed, good. £1300
"Auldjo made the 19th ascent of Mont Blanc. His book was the first to popularize Mont Blanc and its influence persisted until the 1850s and the 'Golden Age' of mountaineering". Neate, A75.
- BOWMAN E Noel (Translator). MOUNT EVEREST; Formation, Population and Exploration of the Everest Region. London: OUP, 1963. 
First English Edition, 8vo, pp xiv, 195, maps, illustrations, original grey cloth, dust-jacket, a near fine copy. £60
Contribution by Toni Hagen, Gunter-Oskar Dyhrenfurth, Christoph von Furer-Haimendorf, Erwin Schneider.
- FRESHFIELD Douglas W. BELOW THE SNOW LINE. Constable, 1933. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp viii, 270, 9 maps in text, original green cloth, near fine. £75
- HILLARY Edmund. NOTHING VENTURE, NOTHING WIN. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1977. 
Sixth Impression, 8vo, pp 319, illustrations, original blue cloth, dust-jacket, very good. £150
Neate J, MOUNTAINEERING LITERATURE 373
- HILLARY Edmund & Peter. TWO GENERATIONS. London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1984. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 223, maps, illustrations, original blue cloth, dust-jacket. £150
Signed by Edmund Hillary.
- HINCHLIFF Thomas Woodbine. SUMMER MONTHS AMONG THE ALPS; with the Ascent of Monte Rosa. Longman, Brown, 1857. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, p xvii, 312, 4 plates, 3 maps, contemporary green polished calf, gilt spine with raised bands, aeg, near fine. £700
"A classic of the "Golden Age". Hinchliff was a lawyer, botanist and traveller, whose climbing career was curtailed by a shotgun accident to his hand. He was President of the Alpine Club 1875-7 and his book and his personality were decisive influences on contemporary mountaineering." Neate H96
- JOHNSTON Harry H. THE KILIMA-NJARO EXPEDITION; a Record of Scientific Exploration in Eastern Equatorial Africa... Kegan Paul, 1886. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xv, 572, 6 maps, illustrations,some occasional foxing, original grey cloth, joints (with small splits), corners and head and tail of spine rubbed, small piece excised from head of title-page. £195
Sir Harry Johnston, explorer and administrator, reached 16,300 ft on the mountain and produced an excellent map of the area. Neate J29.
- MASON A U W. CATALOGUE OF THE EXHIBITION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE MOUNT EVEREST EXPEDITION 1921. London: RGS and Alpine Club, 1922. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 24, 8 photo illustrations on 4 plates, foxing throughout, original blue wrappers, some fraying to margin of wrappers. £450
Images by Howard-Bury, Wollaston, Heron and Mallory. 144 photographs are listed and identify the photographer in each case. It is unclear how many catalogues were produced, but copies are now extremely scarce, with none recorded by the Library of Congress online catalogue, the British Library, or the Alpine Club itself. S & B A09; not in other bibliographies
- ROSS Malcolm. A CLIMBER IN NEW ZEALAND. London: Ed Arnold, 1914. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xx, 316, 24 plates, illustrations, original green cloth. £320
"Chiefly concerning the Mount Cook area. Ross was a founder member of the New Zealand Alpine Club." Neate Neate R73
- ULLMAN James Ramsey. KINGDOM OF ADVENTURE EVEREST; a Chronicle of Man's Assault on the Earth's Highest Mountain. London: Collins, 1948. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 320, illustrations, maps, original blue cloth, spine faded. £10
"Passages from various Everest narratives, linked by Ullman's text." Neate Neate U03
- WORKMAN Fanny Bullock & William Hunter. TWO SUMMERS IN THE ICE-WILDS OF EASTERN KARAKORAM; the Exploration of Nineteen Hundred Square Miles of Mountain and Glacier. Fisher Unwin, 1917. 
First UK Edition, 8vo, pp 296, 3 folding coloured maps (all with short tear to inner margin), 134 plates, illustrations, original brown decorative cloth, neatly re-cased with new endpapers. £750
"Their fifth and last Karakoram expedition 1911-12. They explored the Hush Valley and the Saltoro and Baltoro Glaciers." Neate Neate W126